Here’s today’s installment of “The Breakfast Buffet”, a daily column that can be found here every single morning getting you caught up to date on everything that’s happened from the day/night before and everything that’s going to happen in the next 24 hours.
Things To Sample
Xavier begins its massive week at UConn
This is where the rubber meets the road. The Musketeers are 16-4 through their first 20 games, but are about to embark on their most difficult two-game stretch thus far in Big East play. Xavier will visit UConn (16-5) tonight and then travel to Creighton (11-8) on Saturday. It has already beaten both of these teams at home. The Musketeers currently lead Marquette by a half game in the Big East standings. The Huskies are coming off a 30-point win over Butler on Sunday.
Jahvon Quinerly is the wildcard to watch for Alabama
The Crimson Tide are ripping through their opponents like a chainsaw through butter and have won eight consecutive games by double figures entering tonight’s matchup with Mississippi State in Tuscaloosa. Alabama (17-2) though, can still get better. Why? Quinerly could add another dimension to this team if he continues to provide a scoring presence off the bench. He’s reached double figures in reserve in four of his last six games. Remember: Prior to suffering an ACL injury in last season’s NCAA Tournament against Notre Dame, Quinerly was an All-SEC first-team caliber player.
Providence’s Bryce Hopkins is playing like an All-American
And he’s one of the biggest reasons why the Friars have remained nationally relevant and at the top of the Big East after losing five starters from last season’s team that went to the Sweet 16. The Kentucky transfer is averaging 19.7 points and 10.3 rebounds over his last three games and is one of the leading candidates for Big East Player of the Year. The 6-7 Hopkins averaged just 2.1 points and 1.4 rebounds last season with the Wildcats. Providence (15-5) will next host Butler (11-10) tonight.
On The Side
- During Kansas’ current three-game losing streak, Dajuan Harris is just 2-16 from the field and 1-8 from three-point range. Harris has also scored just five points and committed 10 turnovers during that span.
- UCLA’s Jaylen Clark has had three or more steals in 10 of his last 11 games.
- Virginia Tech is now 12-4 with Hunter Cattoor in the lineup and 0-4 when he is not. Remember: Cattoor was last season’s ACC Tournament MVP and the Hokies have wins this season over Duke, North Carolina, Penn State, and Oklahoma State when he’s been on the floor. This team can still make a push towards the bubble.
- Northwestern (13-5) isn’t going to lock up an NCAA Tournament berth this week, but winning its next two games would be a major step in that direction. The Wildcats visit Nebraska tonight and then host Minnesota on Saturday. There’s no easy games in the Big Ten, but these may very well be the two most winnable games remaining on the Wildcats’ regular season schedule.
- The Mountain West has not had a team win a game in the NCAA Tournament since 2018. Don’t be shocked if the drought ends this season.
- Xavier at UConn
- Houston at UCF
- Georgia at Tennessee
- Mississippi State at Alabama
- Texas A&M at Auburn
- The Breakfast Buffet: Oscar Tshiebwe, Xavier/Creighton, Keyontae Johnson/Florida
- Midseason All-Americans for the 2022-23 season
- The Breakfast Buffet: Xavier begins its massive week at UConn, Jahvon Quinerly, Bryce Hopkins
- The Breakfast Buffet: Kansas State gets a crack at Hilton Coliseum, North Carolina/Syracuse, Trayce Jackson-Davis
- Episode 378 — Xavier’s Sean Miller