Here’s today’s installment of “The Breakfast Buffet”, the morning column on everything that’s happened from the day/night before and everything that’s going to happen in the next 24 hours.
Things To Sample
Things come full circle for Gonzaga and UConn
24 years ago, these two teams met in the West Regional Final in Phoenix. It was the game that sent the Huskies to the Final Four for the first time in program history under Jim Calhoun. It was also the first time that the Bulldogs really entered the national spotlight. Later today in Las Vegas, UConn and Gonzaga will again square off with a trip to college basketball’s most hallowed showcase on the line. The Bulldogs are aiming for their third Final Four appearance under Mark Few while the Huskies are aiming for their first under Danny Hurley. Tip off is at 8:49 PM ET on TBS.
Kansas State again faces a non power conference team in the Elite Eight
Five years ago in 2018, the Wildcats were dominated from tip to finish by Loyola Chicago with a berth to the Final Four on the line. Later today at Madison Square Garden, they’ll take on a team from Conference-USA — Florida Atlantic — in the East Regional Final. Everything is aligned for Kansas State to advance to the Final Four in its first season under Jerome Tang. This program has not reached the Final Four since 1964. Tip off for today’s game is at 6:09 PM ET on TBS.
America is running out of adjectives for Rodney Terry
After taking over in December for Chris Beard as Texas’ interim head coach, Terry now has the Longhorns just one win away from the Final Four after Friday night’s Sweet 16 win over Xavier. Terry has led Texas to the Elite Eight for the first time since 2008 just weeks after leading the Longhorns to a Big 12 Tournament title for just the second time in program history. What else does this guy have to do to get this job? Texas will play Miami on Sunday in Kansas City in the Midwest Regional Final.
On The Side
- Alabama’s Brandon Miller had more turnovers (10) than made field goals (eight) in three NCAA Tournament games.
- Jim Larranaga has led Miami to the Elite Eight in back-to-back seasons. Regardless of what happens against Texas on Sunday, that’s an incredible accomplishment.
- Miami’s Norchad Omier has 44 rebounds in three NCAA Tournament games.
- Texas had 35 points and 16 rebounds off the bench in Friday night’s win over Xavier. There’s no better group of reserves in the sport.
- This is the first time in the history of the NCAA Tournament that a single No. 1 seed has not advanced to the Elite Eight.
- Episode 397 — Georgetown’s Ed Cooley
- Weekend Brunch: Why Zach Edey’s return means that Purdue’s expectations are again “Final Four or bust”
- Creighton/UNLV, New Mexico/Santa Clara to headline Jack Jones Classic
- USC to play Kansas State, Oregon to face Georgia on opening night in Las Vegas
- Saint Mary’s no longer slated for Diamond Head Classic, will instead play in Continental Tire Main event with Xavier, SDSU, and Washington