Here’s today’s installment of “The Breakfast Buffet”, a daily column that can be found here every single morning getting you caught up to date on everything that’s happened from the day/night before and everything that’s going to happen in the next 24 hours.
Things To Sample
Kansas State gets a crack at Hilton Coliseum
This venue hasn’t been very kind to visitors over the past few weeks. In Iowa State’s first three home games against Big 12 opponents, the Cyclones are 3-0 with each win coming by an average of 20 points. The weight class gets raised tonight against the Wildcats, who were ranked THIRD in this week’s ROTHSTEIN 45. As usual, Kansas State will need a quality game from All-American guard Markquis Nowell to have a chance to pull off the victory on the road. The 5-8 floor general is coming off a 23-point, eight-rebound, five-assist performance in Saturday’s win over Texas Tech.
Eight days ago, the Orange were inches away from beating Miami in Coral Gables. Can they upset the Tar Heels tonight at home and begin chatter that they’re primed to make a push in February towards the bubble? Don’t rule it out of the realm of possibility. North Carolina’s only true road win this season is at Louisville and the Tar Heels are shooting just 31.6 percent from three-point range as a team. That could be a major factor against Syracuse’s 2-3 zone. The Orange are just 13-7 overall, but have won four of their last six games.
Trayce Jackson-Davis is playing the best basketball of his career
In Indiana’s last six games, Jackson-Davis is averaging 24.3 points, 13.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists, and 3.7 blocks. I’ve never seen him play better during his four-year college career. The 6-9 big man has now separated himself as the Big Ten’s second-best player behind Purdue’s Zach Edey (21.5 points, 13.2 rebounds), who is the clear favorite to be the National Player of the Year.
On The Side
- Sean Miller said on this week’s edition of the College Hoops Today Podcast that while he’s pleased with Xavier’s 16-4 start, he knows that his team must improve defensively. The Musketeers have not held an opponent to less than 70 points during Big East play. “Our defense will determine our fate,” Miller said. Xavier will next visit UConn on Wednesday.
- Houston’s shocking loss to Temple on Sunday was a Quad 3 defeat. That’s the type of loss that could ultimately prevent the Cougars from being a No. 1 seed on Selection Sunday.
- Clemson’s Chase Hunter (foot) is “day-to-day”, Brad Brownell told College Hoops Today on Monday. The 6-3 Hunter — who averages 14 points and 4.3 assists — hasn’t played since Jan. 14th. The Tigers — who lead Virginia by one game in the ACC standings — will host Georgia Tech tonight.
- Auburn (16-3) still has two regular season games remaining with Alabama, Tennessee, and Texas A&M as well as a trip to Rupp Arena to face Kentucky. The Tigers are going to step up a weight class during the second half of their SEC schedule.
- Barring a miracle title run in the American Athletic Conference Tournament, Cincinnati (14-7) will miss the NCAA Tournament for the third consecutive season. The Bearcats went to nine straight NCAA Tournaments from 2011-19. This program will join the Big 12 next season.
- Penn State at Rutgers
- Ohio State at Illinois
- Oklahoma at TCU
- Oklahoma State at Texas
- Kansas State at Iowa State
- The Breakfast Buffet: Oscar Tshiebwe, Xavier/Creighton, Keyontae Johnson/Florida
- Midseason All-Americans for the 2022-23 season
- The Breakfast Buffet: Xavier begins its massive week at UConn, Jahvon Quinerly, Bryce Hopkins
- The Breakfast Buffet: Kansas State gets a crack at Hilton Coliseum, North Carolina/Syracuse, Trayce Jackson-Davis
- Episode 378 — Xavier’s Sean Miller