Who’s hungry for college basketball?
Here’s today’s installment of “The Breakfast Buffet”, a daily column that can be found here every single morning getting you caught up to date on everything that’s happened from the day/night before and everything that’s going to happen in the next 24 hours.
Things To Sample
James Bouknight makes UConn a team to monitor
Effortless would be the best word to describe Bouknight’s performance in Tuesday night’s 12-point win over Providence. In what was his first game since Jan. 5th due to an elbow injury, the 6-5 guard scored 18 points on 13 shots and also grabbed four rebounds. With Bouknight, Akok Akok, and Andre Jackson now fully healthy, the Huskies have a fully active roster for the first time this season. UConn (10-5) doesn’t just resemble a team that can make the NCAA Tournament next month when it’s at full strength; it resembles a team that no one will want to play in the NCAA Tournament.
RaiQuan Gray is turning into Florida State’s Draymond Green
Let’s make this very clear: Gray is NOT being compared to Draymond Green. But it’s hard not to watch him play and feel like he’s emerging into the Seminoles’ version of the former Michigan State and current Golden State Warriors star. The 6-8, 260 pound forward has recalibrated his body and refined his game. Now a bouncy, nimble point forward, the redshirt junior is arguably the most indispensable player on the Seminoles roster simply because he simply can’t be replicated. Over his last three games, Gray is averaging 20.7 points, 8.7 rebounds, and three assists. This kid could emerge into a national star over the next month.
The rubber is about to meet the road for Boise State
Is this the best team that Leon Rice has had since he’s been a head coach? We’ll find out over the next 10 days. Tonight’s game against Utah State in Boise begins a critical four-game close to the regular season for the Broncos, who need to perform well down the stretch to earn an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. In addition to this week’s series with the Aggies, Boise State (16-4) will travel to Viejas Arena for two games next week against San Diego State. That’s four opportunities in less than two weeks against two teams that are firmly in the NCAA Tournament picture. The best wins currently on the Broncos’ resume are road triumphs at BYU and Colorado State. Tonight’s game tips off at 9 PM ET and can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
On The Side
- How can Kelvin Sampson not be at the top of the National Coach of the Year list? The Cougars lost the American Athletic Conference Preseason Player of the Year in Caleb Mills (transfer) and their starting power forward in Fabian White (injury), but are still 17-2 and projected to be a two seed in the NCAA Tournament.
- Remy Martin is back to being Remy Martin. Arizona State’s veteran point guard has scored 19 or more points in each of his last five games and is averaging 23.8 points during that span. The Sun Devils will play USC tonight at the Galen Center.
- Rutgers is 5-1 this season in games where Myles Johnson has tallied a double-double. This is college basketball’s least appreciated role player. The 6-11 big man is currently averaging 8.5 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks.
- If Syracuse can find a reliable interior presence in the offseason, it should have a chance to be one of the better teams in the ACC next year. Four of the Orange’s top five scorers — Alan Griffin, Quincy Guerrier, Buddy Boeheim, and Joe Girard — are underclassmen. All four average in double figures. The Orange visit Louisville tonight at the KFC Yum Center.
- Richmond can officially re-enter the at-large discussion if it can beat crosstown rival VCU tonight at home. The Spiders were originally projected to be one of the top teams in the Atlantic 10 and already have a win over Loyola Chicago on their resume. Tip off is at 7 PM ET on CBS Sports Network.
- VCU at Richmond
- Syracuse at Louisville
- Minnesota at Indiana
- Utah State at Boise State
- Arizona State at USC
- Episode 349 — Davidson’s Matt McKillop
- Atlantic 10 Offseason Breakdown
- Weekend Brunch: Pac-12 basketball hanging in the balance, Michigan State’s non-conference schedule, Derek Kellogg deserved better from LIU Brooklyn
- San Diego State, Saint Mary’s to play in Phoenix on 12/10
- Auburn, Memphis to meet at State Farm Arena in Atlanta on 12/10