Here’s today’s installment of “The Breakfast Buffet”, a daily column that can be found here every single morning getting you caught up to date on everything that’s happened from the day/night before and everything that’s going to happen in the next 24 hours.
Things To Sample
Clemson could be this year’s Providence
Last season, the Friars came out of nowhere to win their first ever Big East regular season title which led to a quality seed in the NCAA Tournament and a run to the Sweet 16. The Tigers are on a similar path. Brad Brownell’s squad improved to 15-3 after Saturday’s win over Duke and are in sole possession of first place in the ACC. Clemson — who has won seven games in a row — was picked 11th in the ACC Preseason Poll.
Kentucky may have found a lineup
With all due respect to Sahvir Wheeler — who missed Saturday’s win against Tennessee due to a shoulder injury — the Wildcats had significantly better rhythm, chemistry, and flow on offense when freshman Cason Wallace was at the point of attack on offense and Antonio Reeves, CJ Fredrick, and Chris Livingston were cemented on the wings. Wallace didn’t score, but had six assists in the victory and completely changed the complexion of this team offensively. Remember: John Calipari has tweaked his point guard in the middle of the season before. During his final year at Memphis in 2008-09, Calipari moved Tyreke Evans from the wing to point guard which resulted in the Tigers ultimately earning a two seed in the NCAA Tournament.
The first ever head-to-head meeting between Sean Miller and Shaka Smart happens today at the Cintas Center. Expect plenty of offense. Xavier enters today’s game averaging 84.4 points while Marquette arrives in Cincinnati averaging 83.1 points. The Musketeers are on a 10-game winning streak and haven’t lost Nov. 27th. Xavier is in sole possession of first place in the Big East after Providence’s loss at Creighton on Saturday.
On The Side
- Regardless of how good Tennessee is defensively, Saturday’s 56-point performance against Kentucky reiterates why the Vols will be America’s early upset pick on Selection Sunday unless they become more potent on offense.
- Purdue’s Fletcher Loyer is 15-30 from three-point range in his last four games. He made six shots from long distance in Friday night’s win over Nebraska.
- NC State hit two home runs out of the transfer portal with Jarkel Joiner (Ole Miss) and D.J. Burns (Winthrop), who combined for 24 points, 12 rebounds, and 10 assists in Saturday’s win over Miami. The Wolfpack are now 14-4.
- Rutgers is 10-3 this season when Cam Spencer scores in double figures and 2-2 when he does not. The Scarlet Knights will host Ohio State this afternoon in Piscataway.
- Loyola Chicago’s first season in the Atlantic 10 has been brutal. The Ramblers fell to 6-11 overall and 0-5 in league play after Saturday’s 31-point loss to St. Joe’s.
- St. John’s at UConn
- Marquette at Xavier
- Northwestern at Michigan
- Ohio State at Rutgers
- Maryland at Iowa
- The Breakfast Buffet: Oscar Tshiebwe, Xavier/Creighton, Keyontae Johnson/Florida
- Midseason All-Americans for the 2022-23 season
- The Breakfast Buffet: Xavier begins its massive week at UConn, Jahvon Quinerly, Bryce Hopkins
- The Breakfast Buffet: Kansas State gets a crack at Hilton Coliseum, North Carolina/Syracuse, Trayce Jackson-Davis
- Episode 378 — Xavier’s Sean Miller